Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Cigar City: Jai Alai



India Pale Ale
Cigar City Brewing Company
Tampa, Florida
ALC/VOL 7.5%

Just finishing up a few very long days in Fort Lauderdale, FL. It’s a different world down here. People seem separated, non-committal. There might be a sense of community under the surface, but I don’t see it. It’s strip malls, palm trees and lots of plastic. Not my cup of tea (or beer more realistically). That’s why it surprised me to find a very unique craft brewery based out of Tampa. The Cigar City Brewing Company. Started in the mid 90’s, the founder and brew master took a different approach to the craft beer scene. Tampa, the Cigar City, had a sub culture littered with diversity in many ways.  Not only were the people diverse and different, but so was the food, the music, and the social gatherings. The company set out on a path to please all walks of life in some way by making really freakin’ good beer.

I first stumbled on this beer when I was in Orlando 6 weeks ago. I’ve been making a habit, when I travel, to sample the local beer when I can. I mean, why not? It’s a great opportunity. I had this beer at the hotel bar I was staying at. The bartender didn’t know much about the company, but knew that a lot of locals loved this beer. To be honest, when I originally tried it in Orlando, I had already had a huge dinner and several beers before. Not the best state to be “tasting” beers. My palate was shot. But I remembered the name and colorful bottle, which was enough.

Fast forward to last night. I was driving back to my hotel after a very VERY long day. Fort Lauderdale has kicked my ass and then some. I really wanted to get a six pack for the next two days for “unwinding” at night. I stopped by a huge wine, liquor and beer distributor. The place was enormous; even bigger than Beltway Fine Wines back home. The cold beer, as I found out, was all the way in the back. As I scanned the large glass-walled fridge in front of me for anything delicious, the Jai Alai bottle colors caught my eye. I grabbed the six pack and headed to the front lanes. The cashier gave me even more justification in my purchase…..

                Clerk: “Is that a Ravens Credit Card?”
                Me: “Yea”
                Clerk: “You a Ravens fan?” (asked with a scowl...)
                Me: “Giants fan, but the card comes from living in the area”
                Clerk: “Well, at least you’re drinking good fucking beer…”

Case closed.

So now, a day later, at the end of my travels, I pop open a Jai Alai and pour it into the only glass available; the tumble in my Hilton hotel room. But it does the trick; better than one might expect. The beer has a very “fresh and clean” scent when poured out of the bottle. It’s a deeper color than you might expect from an IPA, almost smoky.

I taste the smokiness as well. It’s got a lot of earth to it. There are some citrus and toffee notes in the front and back, but don’t take this for a lighter beer. It’s got real body. It’s ripe with flavor. Sticky is the word I would use. A beer I can enjoy. Maybe South Florida isn’t so bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment