Saturday, August 27, 2011

Golden Carolus: Grand Cru of the Emperor 2004


Belgium Strong Ale
Brewery Het Anker
Mechelen, Belgium
ALC/VOL 11%

DISCLAIMER: Tonight Hurricane Irene rolls into town. She's looking nasty, but luckily I'm my bunker-of-a-mancave with plenty of music and beer. Today I hope to bust through a few reviews (before the storm takes me).

This beer was a gift from a friend that found out I liked good beer. And while I've never been a huge fan of Belgiums, I'll honestly say that after doing a bit of research, this beer seems right up my alley. This beer is brewed in super limited production on the 24th of February to celebrate the birthday of Charles the 5th.

The beer pours really well. It has a dark red brown amber body with a sandy brown head. the head dies pretty quickly to leave lovely lacing on the inner glass walls. The aroma has a very sweet caramely tinge to it, not unlike other cuvees I've had before. The taste has a sweet chocolate and deep fruit front to it. Figs and dark raisin notes come through really well. This is a damn good beer. It's richer than most I've had. This is on par with the Cuvee series from Southern Tier I've before. It's not quite as complex, but to be honest, it's probably one of the best beers I've had in a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment